1) First ever San Carlos ‘Tour de Family’ Ride & Bike Safety Event for Week of the Family, Sunday, Jan 23, 9am-Noon at Central Middle blacktop! Something for every age, pre-registration appreciated for our headcount, and our very own San Carlos Bike Sheriff will lead the Ride! Don’t miss it–spread the word
Link to full plan for the event: https://tinyurl.com/Tour-de-Family-Event
Link to pre-register for the event (appreciated!): https://tinyurl.com/Tour-de-Family-Register
Link to sign up to volunteer (also appreciated!): https://tinyurl.com/Tour-de-Family-Volunteer
2) New & Improved San Carlos Bikes website just went live! Same address, new look, www.sancarlobikes.org makes it easy to sign up for our biking newsletter, read about our biking initiatives, access local biking resources and connect with the biking community. Check it out, give us feedback, and tell your friends! (Thank you to Veronica Dils, website designer extraordinaire)
3) Join the Meetup Group E-Bike Treks on Dec 26 for a ride from Sawyer Camp Trail up to Skyline Highway and San Bruno Mountain, weather permitting. Round Trip is 36 miles.
4) Last two San Carlos School District Walk/Bike Audits are Tues, Jan 11, 1:50-3:20pm for Arundel Elementary and Tues, Jan 25, 2:30-4pm for Central/ Arroyo. Sign up if you haven’t yet – it’s a small way to make a BIG difference in showing our city, school and consultants that safe biking matters to San Carlos
5) San Carlos is Planning for the Future of Downtown and the Laurel Street Corridor and Wants our Feedback in a Short Survey! (Let the city know to prioritize bike-friendly access to and if possible through our downtown, car-free areas. Separate the pedestrians from bicyclists downtown with clearly marked paths. Use “Bicyclists Yield to Pedestrians” or “Walk Bike when Crowded” signs instead of banning riding altogether.)
See Letter to San Carlos residents from Councilmember John Dugan describing the plan for the process and his bike-friendly vision for the Downtown area
6) Bicycles on your Holiday Gift List? Bicycle availability at Bike Shops is MUCH Better This Year than Last – Check out our Local Bikes Shops
7) Local bike shop Zack’s Performance Bikes of Belmont, has expanded to San Mateo! They’re now also at 250 Main St in San Mateo (one block north of Talbots, directly in front of Century 12 Theater), open 12pm-8pm, Mon-Sat. In addition to BMX, SE Bikes, Cruisers and new & used kid and adult bikes, the new store also carries recreational devices including one-wheels and e-scooters! Congratulations Zack’s, and thanks for giving micro-mobility device options in our community a boost.
8) Fabulous San Carlos biking family, the Hoffman’s, featured in October’s San Carlos Living magazine
9) San Carlos Farmers’ Market will take a break from December 19 – January 30, returning on Sunday, February 6, 2022.
10) Specialized Bicycles Grant Cycle Open for “Outride Grants”, promoting ‘riding for focus’ in middle schools and assistance with launching youth cycling programs
11) Trek Bicycles Joins with World Bicycle Relief to Give the Gift of Biking. This year, instead of selecting a Trek for their Bike of the Year, Trek chose World Bicycle Relief’s hardworking Buffalo Bicycle. It's heavy, slow, and costs only $165. You can't buy it for yourself. But it's going to change the world.
World Bicycle Relief provides Buffalo Bicycles to people in developing countries to help them conquer the challenge of distance, achieve independence, and thrive. These bikes help kids get to school, health care workers to patients, farmers to market, and more.
Donate to World Bicycle Relief today and you could help more people gain access to life-changing mobility. Trek will match your donation (up to $500) now through December 31 to help get even more bikes into the field.* A donation of $165 will cover the cost of one whole Buffalo Bicycle (or two, including Trek's match), but any amount helps.
12) Next San Carlos Transportation Commission meeting Tues, Jan 18, 7pm. Agenda TBD
13) Missed the Restriping & Repaving Biketivist Forum with Mr. Barricade? Check out the recap
14) Get Inspired over the Holidays, Virtual Bicycle Film Festival, Dec 17-Jan 9
15) Bikes & Pedestrians Look out for Construction Re-routing on Alameda de las Pulgas in San Carlos just north of Melendy, through the end of Dec 2021.
Thanks for reading/riding! Sonia Elkes,
Founder, San Carlos Bikes
PS: Want to get bike-related news more promptly? To see more bike- and San Carlos transportation-related updates sooner:
Follow San Carlos Bikes on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sancarlosbikes
Join the Nextdoor Group, “Let’s Talk Transportation: San Carlos & Surroundings,” https://nextdoor.com/g/ldy7tlfot/
Join the SVBC San Carlos/Belmont Team through Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/g/sancarlosandbelmont
For a general Guide to Biking in San Carlos see this article: Guide to Biking In San Carlos (San Carlos Living magazine, April 2021)