1. End-of-Bike-Month Bike Bash Friday, May 27, 5-7pm at Sports Basement, RWC. If you pledged to ride and rode in May, or rode in May but haven’t pledged yet, you’re.
There’s a group meeting to ride over together at the “Redwood City” Sign on Broadway, by the Caltrain Station at 4:55pm.
2. Big Used Bike Sale at Silicon Valley Bike Exchange, Sun, May 29, 10am-1pm, 3961 E Bayshore Rd (enter parking lot from Corporation Way, follow signs).
Refurbished used bikes including road bikes, mtn bikes, gravel bikes, vintage, hybrids/commuters, kids bikes
Brands include Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Marin, Raleigh and more. Some as low as $150
Note: SVBE accepts bike donations, and provides free bike repair education, see details here
3. Have you tried out a Pump Track yet?! Check out this new Guide to Riding a Pump Track here.
Pump Tracks are an “all ages-all wheels-all abilities” solution to so many modern troubles, with the low-risk, high physical/mental/social health payoff they bring.“Kids love them, amateurs love them, pros love them. Pump tracks should be in every town just like kids’ playgrounds or soccer fields. Pump tracks get people involved in sports, get them together, get them to have fun outside and do something for their health.” –Claudio Caluori, Founder of Velosolutions
Check out pump track progress in Quarry Park, Half Moon Bay, on San Mateo County Park system’s newest pump track, expected to be finished end of June 2022!
Belmont Parks, Rec & Open Space Plan currently include plans for a pump track & bike repair station (see pg. 19), temporary skate park (see pg. 59) and bike learning
New Petition to Bring a Pump Track to San Carlos!, please sign and spread the word
4. Deadline Extended to July 22 for San Carlos Advisory Commissions, including Transportation, Economic Development, Planning & Parks & Rec.
Great chance to help shape a more bike & micromobility-friendly San Carlos: apply here
New 17-member Downtown Advisory Commission (just formed) will be announced soon, stay tuned
5. Rescheduled – Latest San Carlos Ave (Phase 3) Improvement Plan to be presented to Transportation Commission, now Tuesday, June 21, 7pm (last meeting postponed) Please attend if you can (Congratulations San Carlos Public Works on getting grant funding!)
6. The Redwood City Walk Bike Thrive Draft Planavailable for public feedback, due by Wed, June 1. This is a huge part of what the city is working on street-wise for the next several years, so if you have improvements to suggest, let your voice be heard!
7. Belmont’s “Building Our Backyard” Parks & Open Spaces (PROS) 5th Advisory Committee Meeting isTues, May 31, 7pm
Support a bike-friendly Belmont by keeping up with the advisory process.
See the draft plan so far: Belmont Parks, Recreation, and Open Space
Register in advance to receive the Zoom meeting link
8. Upcoming SVBC Bike Advocacy Training June 9th, 5pm to 7pm
A general advocacy overview - how bike projects get done, where to go for information and whom to contact when issues arise.
Also includes SVBC initiatives and other advocacy basics.
9. SamTrans Redesigning Route Maps & Pocket Timetables to help people ride the bus.
10. On-going VTA-sponsored Free Bike Education Series on-line and in-person at SVBC Headquarters in San Jose
Covers Biking Basics, Smart Cycling & Basic Maintenance
11. Belmont Youth Bicyclists – your chance to make a difference as a Recreation Youth Commissioner (openings avail. until filled)
The Parks and Recreation Commission has two seats for Youth Commissioners, who are full voting members. Youth Commissioners will also serve as the liaisons to the V.O.I.C.E.S. and the Youth Advisory Committee (YAC). The V.O.I.C.E.S. meet twice a month, Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. and the YAC meet twice a month, Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. The City Council will consider applications from Belmont residents who are between the ages of 13 and 17 years old. Parent/Guardian consent is mandatory
12. SMC Sheriff’s Dept has agreed to send 3-foot Law violation letters when incidents and near misses are reported, with or without video evidence. Must submit vehicle license number and location of incident. Thank you Elaine Salinger for your advocacy!
13. Get Safe Cycling Tips for Bike Month, From Stanford Medicine
14. Need free help fixing your bike? Next Free Fixit Clinics coming to Redwood City Library Makerspace as well as available 24/7 through online support:
Wed May 18 @ Redwood City Library: https://www.redwoodcity.org/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/56547/4618?curm=5&cury=2022
Wed Jul 20 @ Redwood City Library: https://www.redwoodcity.org/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/56546/4618?curm=7&cury=2022
Anywhere/Everywhere: In parallel with in-person events we’re fixing 24x7 around-the-clock around-the-world through the Global Fixers Server on Discord, implementing hybrid in-person / online repairs. If you’re interested in joining: go to http://bit.ly/inpersoncoachsignup, select “Join the Online Global Fixers Server…” from the pull-down menu (last entry), complete the rest of the form and someone will reply with detailed instructions and the invite link via email.
Questions? Peter Mui email@example.com, www.fixitclinic.org
Thanks for reading/riding! Sonia Elkes,
Founder, San Carlos Bikes
PS: Want to get bike-related news more promptly? To see biking- and San Carlos transportation-related updates sooner:
Join the SVBC San Carlos/Belmont Team through Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/g/sancarlosandbelmont
Follow San Carlos Bikes on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sancarlosbikes
Join the Nextdoor Group, “Let’s Talk Transportation: San Carlos & Surroundings,” https://nextdoor.com/g/ldy7tlfot/
To See Past Newsletters: https://www.sancarlosbikes.org/news-archive
For General Information on Biking in San Carlos see our website: www.sancarlosbikes.org
Want to be removed from this mailing list? Please reply to this email to no longer receive these newsletter updates.