SC Farmers Mkt Moves Back to Laurel St ~ 10th Annual SVBC Bike Summit ~ Safe Routes Advisory Committee Forming ~ Safe Routes Summit Coming ~ Pump Track coming to El Granada ~ Bike/Ped Advisory Committee meeting ~ East Side Planning Progress ~ Specialized’s Outride Research Summit ~ Economic Dev Advisory Committee Opening & more...
1) Annual Bike Summit - Aug 12 & 13, 8:30am-1pm, Awesome speakers, inspiring agenda, happening now...
2) Bike Summit Social -- Ice Cream & Coffee @ Plantation Roastery, San Carlos, Aug 12, 3-5pm, with SVBC Board Member Andrew Hsu
3) Congrats to 2021 Bike Summit Awardees for Bike Project, Program & Person of the Year!
4) San Carlos Sunday Farmer’s Market moving back to Laurel Street @ Cherry, on Aug 15, 9am-1pm every Sunday. (Bike Racks for Self-Parking will be on Cherry St. next to Diddam’s, so don’t forget your bike lock!)
5) San Mateo County Safe Routes to School Team convening a NEW Community Advisory Committee, to meet on 3rd Mon of every other month. Contact Vanessa at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
6) SMCounty Safe Routes to School Summit, Wed, Aug 25, 8:30am-11:45am, free, virtual, for everyone interested in better, safer routes to schools in our community
7) Pump Track coming to Quarry Park in El Grenada -- link to article in San Mateo Daily Journal...never give up hope of San Carlos too one day having a pump track of our own.🤞
8) SMCounty Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) Thurs, Aug 19, 7pm; for everyone interested in bike/ped-friendly streets in our county
9) San Carlos City Staff to give another Update on East Side Planning progress, Aug 25, 2021, 6pm, virtual, at next monthly Planning Commission meeting
10) Recordings of 2021 Outride Research Summit presentations available, in case you missed it. Focuses on how youth biking improves academic outcomes and ADHD.
11) Opening on San Carlos Economic Development & Advisory Commision -- application due Aug 20 (bicyclist perspective particularly useful because bikers are all three --pedestrians, cyclists and drivers, so bring a unique perspective. See Bikes Mean Business Factsheet for how more bikeable streets increase city revenue)
12) Next Biketivist Meeting with Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition Sept 15, 2021. General presentation at 5pm, Local team meetings (including Team San Carlos!) at 6pm
13) Bike to San Carlos Summer Movie Nights in Burton Park on Fridays, 8:30pm: 8/13 (“Raya & The Last Dragon)
14) Bike to San Carlos Summer Music Nights in Burton Park on Fridays, 6:00pm: 8/20 (E-Ticket -- Oldies Rock & Roll)
Wheel Kids Summer Bike Riding Camps (Palo Alto, Grades 1-7)
Mountain Biking Experts (New Organization -- Jump Clinics & Summer Camps enrolling now for ages 7 and up)
Bicycle Sundays on Canada Rd -- road closed to vehicles north of Edgewood
Redwood Shores Cycling Meetup -- intermediate rides on Saturdays, leisurely rides on Sundays
Commute.org offers resources & rewards for commuting by bike, shuttle, train & bus in San Mateo County
Backroads Bicycle Trips -- Organization based in Berkeley that offers local, national and international trips to combine the best of both worlds: biking + vacation
REI Cycling Classes & Events -- Learning to Ride, Intro to Mountain biking, Bike Maintenance, etc classes
Western Wheelers -- Group Bike rides around the Bay Area, organized by riding level
Thanks for reading/riding! Sonia Elkes,
Founder, San Carlos Bikes
PS: Want to get bike-related news more promptly? To see more bike- and San Carlos transportation-related updates sooner:
Follow San Carlos Bikes on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sancarlosbikes
Join the Nextdoor Group, “Let’s Talk Transportation: San Carlos & Surroundings,” https://nextdoor.com/g/ldy7tlfot/
Join the SVBC San Carlos Team through Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/a/bikesiliconvalley.org/g/sancarlos
Want a general Guide to Biking in San Carlos? See this article: Guide to Biking In San Carlos (San Carlos Living magazine, April 2021)